Boudoir sessions are all about getting pampered, feeling empowered, and seeing yourself in a whole new light! I’m excited to share a quick checklist for your boudoir bag + an stress-free overview of how to prepare for your session.
Preparing for a Boudoir Session
4-6 Weeks Prior
1. Begin dreaming about your ideal boudoir outfits.
These portraits don’t have to be taken in a bedroom, and they don’t have to involve the ‘classic’ sexy poses – nor are your outfit choices limited to sexy lingerie. In fact, there are so many options for What to Wear for Your Boudoir Session. Whether it's a classy blazer, his favorite shirt or the traditional lingerie, we have compiled all sorts of ideas to help you find the perfect collection to break free from the stereotypical "sexy photos." Shop your closet for your favorite pieces you already own and look at magazines and brands you love for inspiration. A few of my favs are Honey Birdette and Anthropologie. See a few more of my favorites linked below.
2. Go shopping!
Ask a girlfriend to join you and help you find pieces you not only look good in, but feel good in! Think outside the box and don’t be afraid to try something that’s a little out of your comfort zone. You never know, you could love a new piece!
3. Choose 3-5 Outfits
Begin to narrow down your outfit choices to 3-5 favorite outfits. Don’t be afraid to let your personality shine!
4. Maybe you like Accessories. Make it memorable!
- flowers and petals
- headpieces and crowns
- perfume bottles
- vintage items (telephones, magazines, cameras)
- string lights
- champagne flutes or martini glasses
- fabrics and sheets
- musical instruments
- a dress you wore on your first date
- military tags
- sports props (boxing gloves, footfall cleats, helmets, jerseys, etc.)
5. Think Beyond the Shoot
What do I wear?
Here are a few 'favorites' and most popular go-to's:
Bodysuits | teddy
Reveal or conceal whatever you want. Choose solid long-sleeved bodysuits for more coverage or a beautifully detailed lace bodysuit to reveal more.
Bra + panty set
Classic + Customizable. Simple and classic in black, sporty in Calvin Klein or rich velvet retro, high-waisted - It's totally customized and authentic to you.
something of his
Do you 2 have a shared hobby? Bring something to show it off, grab his favorite jersey or even work shirt. Nothing is off limits here.
sheet | nothing
Of course depending on your comfort level, this is often paired with the classic white sheet for that perfect "I just woke up this way" look.
Sexy is great, but safe. Think beyond just sexy. Think daring. We recommend bringing the 'favorites', but challenge you to bring some fantasy too. This is your chance to wear anything you want and look good doing it. If you have always eyed that one piece, but never went for it. Now is the time. GO FOR IT!!
3-5 Days Prior
1. Wax or shave and moisturize. If you opt for hair removal, this is the best time to do it.
2. Avoid spray tans or tanning lotions. No matter how natural tanning sprays and lotions may seem, they create an orange glow that cannot be retouched after your session.
3. Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin.
4. Remove all price and sizing tags from lingerie. Even the permanent ones.
5. Choose your final outfits.
1-2 Days Prior
1. Get a fresh manicure! Avoid bright colors, neutrals are best.
2. Avoid alcohol and drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin!
3. Moisturize your skin.
4. Pack your boudoir bag the night before to ensure the essentials aren’t forgotten.
5. Double check your list, relax, and get ready to be pampered!
Boudoir Session Day
1. Arrive with a clean and moisturized face. Our team will pamper you with hair + makeup.
2. Moisturize your entire body!
3. Wear loose fitting clothing and undergarments to avoid impressions on the skin.
4. Eat a light meal that will ensure you’re satisfied but not bloated.
5. Allow plenty of time to arrive a few minutes early. You’ll feel at ease and ready to slay your boudoir session!
Studio sessions will take place at our Downtown Joplin address listed at the bottom of the page. If you've purchased our Victorian Suite Upgrade, those sessions take place at La Rose Blanche in Joplin, MO.
1611 S Main Joplin, MO
Boudoir Bag Checklist
1. 3-5 Outfits + a Few Extras
I’ve been there, outfits can be hard to narrow down! Bring your favs and allow your photographer to narrow them down based on what will photograph best.
Don't forget the accessories! Heels, jewelry, knee-high socks, oversized sweaters, button-down shirt, veil, robe, pearls + any additional accessories you may like will make for great memories!
Moisturizing is always a great idea! Bring your favorite lotion to feel amazing in your skin.
4. Water + Light Snacks
If you’re anything like me, getting hangry is a real thing. If you’re being pampered with hair + makeup, plus sippin’ mimosas, you may find yourself a little hungry. Bring a granola bar or some fruit and you’ll be set!
More tips + tricks
After your session, take the time to look at your photos often and enjoy them. Leave a bit of lingerie on the bed with a photo of you or send a surprise text to your better half and let them know you’re thinking about them. The little things go a long way.
A little secret from me to you:
As a photographer, I spend hours making sure each and every one of your photos is perfect. The bummer is, not every distributor that offers tangible goods have top-notch professional printers. So the photos that have been carefully crafted may not look so great coming out of a Walgreen’s printer. On top of that, those products are not typically printed on archival paper, resulting in warping or fading, ultimately leaving you with images (if you're lucky) that may last your lifetime alone. Your best bet is to chat with your photographer and ask about their products. Photographers get GREAT hookups on all kinds of quality, archival products that aren't necessarily offered on any other public platform.. You’ll get the best quality and the best prices, not to mention you’ll feel super confident knowing you're getting custom, archival photos that are guaranteed to last you for many generations to come.
Shoutout to Patience Posey at Paymaymua! She offers all hair + makeup services for each of our boudoir ladies and she does an amazing job every single time! Check her out for ALL your Boudoir, Bridal + everyday needs.
417-437-5463 | firstname.lastname@example.org
1611 S. Main St Joplin, MO 64804